Saturday, April 6, 2013

Module 9, Video Review

1. I chose the two videos Albrecht Durer: Image of a Master and Velazquez because they sounded interesting to me. I remembered being slightly interested in Durer's work from chapter 8, and I wanted to learn more about it. I also decided to watch the video about Velazquez because I remembered reading about his style of art in chapter 17, I remembered he used light to create drama so I was hoping to learn more about his work. 

2. Key Concepts:


Image of Master:

-brought ideas from Italy
-self-portrait at age 13
-influenced by goldsmith father
-mother had 18 child, but 15 passed away

-drew abstract animals
-countryside was his background to many of his artworks
-first true landscape artists
-searched for perfect form 
-became council of the city
-printing his main source of income

Velazquez:

-fond of the King
-the King was a good friend of his
-could paint whatever he wanted
-influenced by myths, and the need to make them real
-created reality in his artwork
-painting took a long time to complete
-represents nature

3. The videos relate to the text because they give us the ability to view what we have read, and give us more information about artists. I watched two videos about two artists, I learned a lot more about the artists with the use of the videos than I could have in the text. 


4. I found the first video I watched to be very interesting! The second video I found a bit dry. I learned a lot from both of the videos but I preferred the first video a lot more. The videos add depth to understanding because they add details where we can't find them in the text. The text can only go so far in depth about the artists and styles within the book, these videos help us understand more of who they are and what the specific styles mean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment