Saturday, March 2, 2013

Art Visit


1.
 The first artwork I saw that made an impact on me was House of Collective Repair by Dennis Maher it was a mixed-media instillation made in 2012-2013. It was a collection of things from a house. It made an impact on me because it Maher said it "describes transformation of the city of Buffalo", I thought it was a perfect representation. Throughout the exhibit you can see the changes in the items. It was very fascinating to see the way he expressed the changes going on in our city. 
House of Collective Repair

The second artwork that I saw that made an impact on me was Kelly Richardson's video, Wagons Roll which was made in 2007. In this scene there is an old beat up looking car floating in mid air in front of beautiful mountains and landscape. It impacted me because it was a very real expression of the pollution that we are putting into the air. It made me begin to think about global warming and the environmental decay we are producing everyday when we are driving. 

Wagons Roll

2. 

The first piece of artwork that I felt a connection with was No. 15 by Ad Reinhardt. It was a oil on canvas and was very large, made in 1952. I connected with this artwork because it was very basic, and organized at the same time. It was a beautiful blue background with greens, blues, purples, teal square neatly placed onto one another, all in rows. I think I connected with it so much because I felt like I could re-create it.
No. 15
The second artwork that I felt a connection with was Philip Guston's untitled artwork that was ink on paper, from 1952. I think I connected with this art work because I felt as if it was a painting of raindrops. The drops were spread out so much on the paper that I could envision the raindrops hitting the paper, it reminded me of the weather outside, a heavy slush like rain. 
Untitled
3.

The first artwork that I wanted to know more about was Textile in the Greek room. It was linen and silk, and from the 19th century. There was very little information about this textile which lead me to be very curious. I was wondering who exactly made it, if it represented anything special, do the colors used in it represent anything, why did they add animals into it? The artwork left me with many unanswered questions. 
Textile

The second artwork that I wanted to know more about was Philip Lorca diCorcia's picture Head #6, it was a Fujicolor crystal archive print, very large and captured in 2001. Philip placed an X on the ground in Times Square and when someone stepped directly on it, he took a picture of them.  When I was looking at this picture I first focused on the man in the suit in the background, I began to wonder why he looked upset, where he was going, why he was dressed so nicely, if he lived in NYC, who is he?. Then i shifted my questions to the man in the front, I began to wonder who he was? where he was going? how old is he? I think I wanted to know so much more about this picture because of the little I knew looking at it, shooting a picture of a two random men leads to many questions. 

Head #6

2 comments:

  1. I was surprised to not see any of the images I used in my project. I did however share your interest in the piece by Dennis Maher House of Collective Repair; the sounds coming from the room are actually what made me go in. At first look this almost seemed like a pile of garbage and then as you walk around it you see the care in placement for each piece and it really took life from there. Philip Guston's untitled artwork that was ink on paper, from 1952 was a piece I really liked as well. I would have used this piece here as well but my picture did not come out nearly as well and there were so many that I liked in the gallery. Nice job on this project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I had chosen different works from the gallery for each topic so the work that you chose was new for me to read about the reasoning for it. I loved the House of Collective Repair by Dennis Maher. I like how you wrote that it shows the transformation of Buffalo. I've lived here all of my life so it means something to me to see art like this.

    ReplyDelete