Sunday, March 10, 2013

Architecture/ Video Review

1. The key concepts I learned from the videos are..

Architecture: The Science of Design:
-Skyscraper's have two parts the superstructure, and the substructure
-Two different types of substructure (drilled into ground, built onto concrete)
-Winds increase the impact of the skyscraper determining on height
-Buildings over 100 ft can sway up to 1 meter
-Wind is broken up by building, creating a wind tunnel at the base
-Data is taken before building is built to determine the impact weather will have on the building
-Trees can be placed around the base of the building to collect turbulence

Classical Architecture:
-Reflects the needs and values of the time
-Each building is well balanced
-Inspired many other buildings throughout the world
-3 types of columns
-Each level of the Colosseum is a different design
-Became very popular style of housing for England

2.   These videos relate to the readings in the text because they go into greater detail about some of these sections in the chapter. The science of design video goes into depth explaining more about the weather conditions that can affect architecture. The classical video expresses the development of these buildings and designs in other parts of the world, and the meaning behind them.

3. I liked the videos, I liked the science of design better than the classical architecture video. They add depth because it gives us the ability to view and hear what we read.

4. I choose these films because when reading this chapter I was very interested in the classical architecture. I wanted to watch the film to see if there was anything I hadn't read about in the text. The other film I was interested in because I always found skyscrapers interesting. I have gone to Chicago a few times and I know they call it the "windy city" because of the buildings, and I was lucky enough to learn more about that in the film.


No comments:

Post a Comment