Sunday, February 17, 2013

Elements/Principals of Design

To be completely honest, I LOVED this project. I love taking pictures so I was all about this project! When I was reading the chapters I tried to think of pictures I had on my computer that would be examples of the elements/principles of design.

When I sat down to start the photo planning I printed out the list of the element/principles and I wrote down next to each one of them what I wanted to take a picture of. Luckily this summer/fall I was able to go on a couple vacations and take some really cool pictures. I started there. I knew I wanted to use the sunflower as color because I remember focusing on the yellow pedals when I took it this summer. When I went to Pennsylvania this fall I was playing around with my dads digital camera and I got the tree picture, which I used in the balance example.

After having those two images done I moved onto the other "easy" ones, the examples I could think of right away. Having Valentines Day this week I was able to use those roses for a perfect example of movement. I was able to think of line, shape, forms,texture, pattern,and repetition right away. The rest I struggled with.

I thought long and hard on what to take a picture of for variety, my initial thought was to take one of an assortment of pens/sharpies but when my mom was baking this weekend something clicked for me to pay attention to all of the spatulas...creating the picture for variety. I had a hard time thinking of something to use for emphasis, but when I walked into my computer room I saw the golf balls on the wall (which my dad collects) and I knew I could use it.

When I thought about what to use for space I first thought to take a picture of two painting on our wall which have a space in between them, but when looking through my photos on my computer I found a picture I had forgotten I'd taken this summer in Roanoke Island, North Carolina at The Elizabethan Gardens I immediately switched my idea for space and put that picture in. I then came across a picture I took looking up the staircase at the Ocracoke Lighthouse in Ocracoke, North Carolina. I knew I could use that for rhythm. Then I found a picture I took in Lancaster, Pennsylvania of a beautiful flower and pumpkin display (which I thought about switching with color) but I chose to use that for proportion.

I struggled the most with the last principle, unity. At first I had a picture of a couple holding hands, but I didn't like it, I didn't know what to use. I'd only ever thought of unity in paintings, so I had no idea what to use it for in photography. I settled on taking a picture of my full fruit bowl, but I'm still not sure it's a good example!

Little did I know that all these pictures I had been taking for the past year were categorized into these elements and principles. Here I thought I was just playing around and trying to take nice pictures for social networking, but I was able to reflect on these pictures and learn something from them!!




landmm01's AED 200 album on Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Your description of the process of selecting your images used I thought was very detailed. It gave good insight of the process you used. I thought you matched each picture very well with the elements and principles. I love the sunflower images you used and the one you used for space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading your post and reviewing the photos you can tell that you put some time and consideration into the project. I really like the texture photo because it was not the kind of texture I was envisioning when I did the project. I think your fruit bowl unity is well thought out as well. It has a unity from the bowl standpoint but also in that the one container is holding nothing but fruit, a unity despite the diversity. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your pictures! I really liked the variety one because of all the colors of the spatulas - very creative. I also liked your emphasis picture with the golf balls because my eyes were immediately drawn to the orange ball which is exactly what was supposed to happen. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like how diverse your pictures are, from nature, everyday ordinary objects, it seems to me that you have an interest in color. your picture were good overall. i specially loved your texture picture.

    ReplyDelete